In My Friend Carrie's Car
A downloadable game for Windows and macOS
"In My Friend Carrie's Car" is an autobiographical text-based game.
Content warnings: eating disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, intrusive thoughts, depression, reference to sex via discussion of birth control.
This game discusses some of my experiences being mentally ill. Everybody experiences mental illness differently. This game is representative of some of my experiences, and no one else's.
Press the highlighted keys to choose your routes. You can press ESC or Q to quit at any time. Please play the game with a screen resolution of 1280x720. You can play it windowed, or not. The game is best played with sound. I prefer it with headphones in. It's up to you, though.
This game is part of an on-going 6-month-long research project that looks at the autobiographical representation of experiences of mental illness in games. If you're interested in learning more, here's a link to my website, and to my blog, where I talk more about the project!
Here are some nice resources that have helped me. Maybe they'll help you, too.
- body positive activist Megan Jayne Crabbe
- information on the symptoms and triggers of misophonia
- OCD Center of Los Angeles, which has a website with some descriptions of manifestations of OCD that I've found really helpful on a few occasions
- International OCD Foundation, which has done some pretty great activism and education work over the years
- bedroom pop band Adult Mom, which I reference in the game and just generally love
Please play the game with a screen resolution of 1280x720. You can play it windowed, or not.
- the first part of a 6-month-long projectFeb 16, 2018
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.